My Final Reunion on UVA's Hallowed Lawn

I spoke too soon a few weeks ago when I posted my Last Marathon Job of the Career Last Saturday was Reunion Weekend at the University of Virginia. Although not technically a marathon, it was a 16 hour day as we catered the Class of 1978 reunion at mid Lawn. Thanks so much to everyone at the University of Virginia and especially The Alumni Association for letting me do my thing for twenty five years! In the competitive catering world, only a few of us achieve such longevity. I wish I could thank all the people who hired me in the hundreds of departments at the University, but I don't want to leave anyone out...so I will just thank Wayne and Jason for all but inventing Reunion Weekend in its present behemoth form and including me for all these years. Oh, and Aloha good people!


A crew of 25 arrives at 11:00 AM.

2 hours in...making some progress


5:00 PM shadows creeping across the Lawn

6:30 PM and it is SHOWTIME for the Class of 1978

Local and Spanish Cheeses and Cured Meats from FEAST. Artisan Breads from Albemarle Baking Company; two of my favorite and long term vendors.

The King Arthur Display..a favorite with the university crowd for 25 years

That would be one Melvin Stinnie in the middle. Irreplaceable, Intrepid, Indefatigable and Reliable since Day 1..Thanks Melvin! Anthony Kennedy on the left has been a tremendous help securing quality student labor. They are making *Grillswith*, a grilled doughnut with homemade berry ice cream.
 

9:00 PM; laughing and drinking into the night

11:30 PM; tables and chairs stacked, vans and trucks gone home. Fleeting and ephemeral...did it even happen?

Hi Ted- thank you for such a wonderful dinner last night! Everyone was so pleased and enjoyed themselves very much - the dessert was a special touch!


Sarah Fay Nyanjom
Assistant Director, Reunions and Class Activities
Black Alumni Weekend, Class of 1978, Class of 2003
 

 

 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 




 

 

 
 


 
















 


Comments

Popular Posts