A last walk around the yard as we are now home free

 
 
Sure, I can put my finger on it: the final sale of my house has a whiff of mortality to it. So it is to be expected that the last night and day in my abode of 23 years had an expected melancholy feel. Three children, two wives (I actually bought the house three times due to divorce:)), countless house guests, tragedy and hilarity. My son, who I did the most with in the house as far as painting, wall building and deck schlepping, helped me load the final items into the truck. We shared a final beer in the empty living room and off I went. He stayed behind alone for a while and I presume he had his own thoughts.

 
A winsome lass arising from the periwinkle


Pans we bought while a chef in Paris ~1985




Would this guy say that everything is temporary and fleeting? Would he say the Earth, Sun and even the whole bloody solar system are temporary? A new family is now going to move in here and have kids and plant azalea bushes on these ~400 million year old piles of Appalachian rubble, just like I did 23 years ago.

Alas then, there is nothing else to do but enjoy this temporary existence. There is no reason to take this life seriously. Live it the way you want to, free of fear. You don’t die. There’s nothing to worry about. Life continues on and on and on.



Machete I put down for a moment and then forgot about it. Tree done gone and gobbled it up!

Dry Stack Garden Wall we built
 

Volcanic Slate Zen Rock Garden

Site of many late night dinners, yuks and hoots. Especially memorable was when the Hale Bopp comet passed over head for like six weeks.

My bed on the dining room floor, the last night in the house.

Thanks Giles, for helping with those heavy items.

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts