Reunions

Messers Bell and Taylor:
The esteemed Mr. Bell asks the question about reunions in general. On two fronts, I feel very qualified to shed light on this subject.
Firstly,
my father is a professional reunion attendee .For more than 60 years he has attended any and all reunions, to include, but not limited to Camp Virginia, St. Christopher’s School, The Episcopal High School, Woodberry Forest Sport’s Camp, The Gloucester Banks Association, The University of Virginia, including sub sets such as St. Anthony Hall and Eli Banana. I will be attending his 60th reunion of the Marine Corps Veterans’ who were in Korea in the 1950’s in Seoul this September as his “companion” and a guest of the South Korean Government. As my mother is wont to say,” Ever Ready Eddy never met a crab dip he didn’t love”.
Secondly,
since 1980 graduation, I was out of Charlottesville maybe five of those years, so in effect, I never really left the UVa. reunion scene, albeit as a vendor and not an attendee. Since establishing my business in 1991, I have catered thousands of reunions and related events (this weekend is, egad, a PIKA reunion). What I notice the most is that everyone comes and goes separately, stays in separate accommodations with one or two friends and then they go to the reunion and talk to people they really never knew or hung out with, and have not kept up with, have great old time for a few hours, and make plans to see each other again. Especially awkward, is when they make plans to be best buddies again, then five years pass, and they are back at the reunion with nothing to say, for both groups know that they are not going to be best buddies again. I recently catered the 20th reunion on the class of the class of 1988. Amongst the guests were about 20 Tri-Delts who used to work for me as cater waiters in the early days. There were lots of hugs for Chef Ted and Melvin, by girls, er, women, who are now pushing 40. After catching up and having the required grand old time, they went somewhere and we got in the truck and went somewhere.
Hope this helps, dudes.

Comments

Popular Posts