Meet da' Shaggin' Wagin (the test rig)

Tent and da 'wagin.

Let me introduce you to “the Shaggin’Wagin” (this name comes from the gross baby blue early 1990’s shag carpeting throughout the rig). About three years ago, I bought this ride, as is, off Craig’s list for $1000. The odometer broke two years ago at ~300,000 miles. This was to be a practice run for RV’ing to see where I fit in that world, as I planned my exit strategy. After more than a few humiliating experiences, such as being carried off (flatbed tow truck) the Blue Ridge Parkway with blown radiator hoses and other such trip ruiners, I have spent about $5000 and she is running well. I carry lots of supplies, tools, tents and other camping gear. The kids, friends and I use it as a home base for car camping and for music festivals. Sometimes I go a wanderin’ and a ponderin’ alone and stealth camp in a bed in the back wherever I end up.

Last night I went up to Big Meadows and grilled a skirt steak and drank some Albemarle County red wine. Although I had set up the tent and air mattress, it was in the low 30’s so I snuggled inside with a sleeping bag and a Glacier National Park wool blanket.

Big Meadows, milepost 50 on the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, is where I go when I want the entertainment value, from a far, of watching other campers set up for the evening. This includes everything from huge Class A’s to thru- hikers on the Appalachian trail, thrown in with a few RENT-ME 1-800-555-1212 ers, and tourists from everywhere putting up their tents, with varying degrees of success, for the first time.
I keep notes of my needs on these trips, and am leaning towards a Roadtrek. I have discovered that reading will play a big part of this life style, so a comfortable chair, in the rig, is essential.
Road Side Geology
Getting Ready for the skirt steak

1992 Turtle Top ~300,000 miles
da wagin, awning and all, next to my brother's 1-800-RV Rent Me at All Good Music Festival, Masontown West Virginia July 2011


Big Meadows Campground, SNP, Virginia


Comments

Popular Posts