Life in A-Frame Land

 

 So on a little more of the domestic front. Recently, I realized that when I jumped off  the bridge in Virginia several months ago, I had landed on my feet in an alternative universe, into a Hawaiian Paradise through some portal into another galaxy. Where else was there to go? So I took a paying shift leader position and signed on for a year. I spent the first few months in a tent, which was fine; some longer term volunteers swear by them for various jungle reasons.
Which led me to A-Frame land. Home of managers, older folks and long term volunteers. Kind of a cool old folks home.


 One of the management benefits was the offer of moving to an a-frame. The bungalows and cabanas can mean having a roommate. So I headed down another jungle path, which is pitch black at night when there is no moon. 
and I ended up here, at a smaller a-frame, which is not much bigger than a tent but has electricity, great internet connection, protection from the rain and a bed. Here Tara, from Portland, ohana night organizer and trainer in the kitchen and Nick from British Columbia, weed around A-23, while I was, alas, having a little lie down. I never bothered with the weeding as it is constant, but they say that it keeps mongoose, wild pigs and other critters away from your hale. 
 I got an offer to move into this larger A-frame and Tara moved from a dorm/roommate situation to my old one. Man was she happy about that. It is nice to have a private place to go. 
 A-3, home sweet hale. Those trees out front are the sacred Ti plant. They keep nightstalkers, the walking dead and other baddies away. They also make Hula skirts and leis out of them. The ocean is about two hundred yards away, which makes for great sleeping.
 A view though the back screen at my backyard.
Some of my neighbors. Some people really create magic places. Most have placed subtle lighting around the structure that make the jungle glitter and twinkle at night
 I still can get lost back there, so when in doubt, I start over at this agave bush and usually find my way home.
 Plant growth is so rapid in the rainforest that plants grow everywhere. I noticed this plant growing in a bit of jungle debris in a little niche where the water pipe comes in. A plant practicing non-attachment and living happily in the present in a shower stall.
 
As the sign says, lets keep the love in and the bugs and lava out. Christmas lights hanging from the roof make it a magic place to visit from people that don't live in one. Kinda like a couple hour vacation somewhere for them.
 Where I write these blogs and have personal one person parties.
Thanks for stopping by

 

Comments

Kathy said…
Ted - so glad to see you have adjusted and decided to stay! Mahalo and mele kalikimaka!
Kathy in C'ville

Popular Posts