Just letting it all slowly sink in

It has been a week and I am still having a problem with remembering ~120 names. I am also still getting a little lost, especially at night. The group I have the biggest problem remembering is the group of twenty somethings that work in the kitchen; dressed in yoga clothes, Crocs and the required colorful bandanna as head gear. Unless they have a whole arm covered in tattoos, then they can appear to me to be the same person. Once I work with someone, have a class or event, then I get the name down, but it is taking time.

There is some kind of class or event every night, ranging from beginning hula, open mike night, burlesque, Hawaiian studies, ecstatic dance, intuitive aquatic movement and the Meridian tapping circle. It is a little unnerving, walking through these jungle paths, all kinds of night birds and critters chirping away, under a billion stars, and have someone say "are you looking for your cabana, Ted?"
This helpful inquiry comes from the jungle darkness; they see me obviously headed down the wrong path to say housekeeping or the guest tree houses, and kindly point me down the correct path to my hale. They know my name because I am the new guy, and I have no idea who they are or where they are.

I am going to have to let it all sink in for a while. A half hour can easily be spent watching some of my roommates, bright green colored geckos, going about their daily patrols to eat the baddies. I could take a hundred pictures of the brightly colored tropical flowers just around my cabana alone, much less on any kind of nature walk.

This is a daytime place. They call bedtime Puna midnight: 9:00 PM. The only bar near here closes at 10:00 PM. After a day of many physical activities, I am starving by 5:30 AM, and find something to do, like listen to raindrops that must weigh a pound, batter the tin roof, until a hearty breakfast is served at 7:30 AM.


Our living area, called E ho mai, letting it come, letting it flow, a place to live every moment in the present, had a ohana extended family appreciation day of games, food and more the other day: here are a few shots:

Corey lights my grill as I get ready to grill tuna, tempeh and vegetable kebobs
 

A gecko race, most lost their tails



DJ Kalea, breaking it down
 A little acro-yoga
Of course, always lots of hugs
  


I guess you tell me...it is what it is folks. Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks like break time at Forever 21.
Anonymous said…
Ted!!!! We miss you but at least we have your stories still (although not the same as in-person tales, you are a fantastic writer!).
Glad you made it to paradise.
The Peacocks (Mandy & Joe)
Unknown said…
Oh my God Ted your blog has me busting a gut laughing, especially the pics of the 'spanking station!' I can't even imagine how I would have reacted if that was what was going on in the first couple days after I arrived! You're a terrific writer and storyteller - I think I'll stop blogging now and just direct my friends to your site, at least for the duration of my time at Kalani. I like how you can poke fun at the hippy-aspect of Kalani but still remain open to and appreciative of the experience (and 'energy'! Lol)

Popular Posts