My Daughter is Stranded on a Indian Reservation!


The ring of my cell phone jars me back to 90 degree, late afternoon Main Street Floyd. It is my ex-wife informing me that our daughter Caroline is stranded on the Cherokee Indian Reservation, Cherokee, North Carolina. Uh….could  you run that by me again? I look at the map, and it appears I am about half way from Asheville and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My tent and stuff are set up at Rocky Knob, six miles away in the mountains, so it won’t be tonight, but I promised to head out first thing….well maybe not first thing, sleep of kings and all, in the morning.

When I get back to the campground, I notice that the woman in the Class A Motorhome is in the exact position at the picnic table as when I left 5 hours ago. It is near the bathhouse so I mosey on over to do some snooping. We make eye contact and I ask permission to come aboard. She is completing a jigsaw puzzle, the biggest, in square footage, with the tiniest pieces that I have ever seen in a cardboard puzzle, which is not many. Turns out they live 10 months of the year in the Class A, and return “home” to somewhere in South Carolina to regroup. They have been on the road, in a tent or a pop up or a fifth wheel or a Class A for almost 35 years. Folks, these are people who are not in a hurry, ‘cause there is no where to go, they are already there…..and I thought working in Floyd might become simplistic.
Daytime, Caroline and Sam

 Onward to save my daughter from the savages.  Eventually, it becomes apparent that it is not four hours to Cherokee, but more like seven. I call for directions from Caroline, who puts her friend Sam’s mom on the phone. Sam’s mom lives in a camper on the reservation, and as I mention the small towns I am passing through, she recognizes very few to none. Uh, ok. I head down the twisting route 19 west that is lined with 1950’s mom and pop motels and private campgrounds that seem to have large percentages of families permanently living in broken down trailers. Most of the other cars, campers and rvs on the road, seem full of families from other places headed for great fun and great memory making in the great outdoors of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or nearby Pisgah National Forest. The beauty of driving along Soco Creek and the Tuckasegee River in these green mountainous hollers is breathtaking. However, lurking behind this rugged beauty is the grim reality of life on an Indian Reservation in Appalachia. Like Floyd, I am only there a short time, so who is to say…but it seems if you don’t work in one of these motels, fast food restaurants, cheesy third rate amusement attractions or “Indian” novelty shops, it is a meth lab in a trailer park. I am also struck by apparent income gap between the tourists, like me in one kind of camper, and at least some of the locals in another kind of camper (ratty).
Santa's World, Cherokee, NC

  I already knew this from Boy Scout trips in my youth, but Indian reservations are slightly grim, depressing and underwhelming if you are expecting teepees and noble, shirtless warriors on horseback. If you aren’t really paying attention, you might not even know you are on an Indian Reservation. So, as I pulled into Cherokee, I met Caroline, Daytime, Sam and Sam’s mom in the parking lot of Santa’s World. In summary, Caroline and Daytime had driven from Charlottesville to visit Sam, whose mom who was living in the camper on the reservation. Daytime’s car broke, and the threesome were destitute in the camper. Caroline’s mom, wired her $100 and Caroline’s dad drove to pick her up. Daytime’s car evidently was not broken and he headed somewhere, I heard Tennessee. Sam and her Mom headed back to the camper. Ted and Caroline headed to the Mile High Campground still on the reservation but at 5400 feet, where I went over fire skills with Caroline. She might have thought it cold, but I had the sleep of kings. I guess I learned that if an rv adventure goes bad for real, you really can end up living in a van down by a beautiful river. I don’t know what, but there must be something for Caroline to learn from this adventure. It was all kind of spooky.

Caroline at Mile High Campground

Comments

Popular Posts