Conversations, Fine Restaurants and Ghosts in Kansas City




My stepfather Billy and my Mom celebrate my first visit to the Mid-West in 11 years. Here we are at Sebastienne's in the Kansas City Kemper Modern Art museum. That is Sebastienne behind me.

The menu at Sebastienne's; I had swordfish with a Mexican twist that was awesome!


On our way to the Blue Bird Bistro in a offbeat Mexican/Hipster neighborhood, we stopped at this overpass to catch a glimpse of downtown Kansas City. Blue Bird, decades ahead of its time, produces hearty farm to table fare, served with no BS.

After dinner one night, we adjourned to this 4 seat bar in their basement. It was built in ~1925, a time when people thought such a thing was a good idea. Nowadays I guess people don't want to get drunk in the basement, as Mom and Billy said they had only drank in it several times in 36 years. Oh, that ain't iced tea in our glasses.

and then....and then the phone rang for the first time since ~1925! Billy answered it and there was nothing but a death rattle on the other end, someone or gasp, something giving up the ghost. There were late night tales of strange goings on and ghost sightings over 36 years.

I quickly grabbed my camera and took this shot to see if I could catch any orbs in the mirror. Anybody see anything?

Thanks Mom and Billy. It was a relaxing three days. Over the years, family gatherings have consisted of the whole tribe, including babies and young grandchildren, which makes it hard for in depth adult conversations. This time it was just me, home on high school vacation from boarding school. There are a lot of changes for both of us; they are moving back "home" to Richmond, Virginia and I am home free and going a wandering. What makes a middle age man do such a thing?...read about it in this Christmas blog below the Kansas sunflowers:









Comments

ellyt said…
Ted,
What a wonderful blog. I am glad to know that you are ok. I have been looking for you (to do an omelet bar at a family gathering). Of course, now I see that you have gone on a journey...what a wonderful way to spend your time. You will surely have a grand adventure. But know that you have folks back in Charlottesville that love and miss you!
Many blessings,
Elly Tucker

Popular Posts